- 629 direct and indirect job losses locally. On a percentage basis, this would be like the Chicago MSA losing 140,000 jobs!
- A negative $54 million economic impact on the local economy. This would be equivalent to Chicago MSA experiencing a $40 BILLION negative impact! 8% of our total economic output would evaporate.
- If DCC closes, the female corrections facilities will be operating at 180% capacity - nearly double the inmates they were designed to handle.
- 65% of the inmates are from Chicago and 78% are mothers. They need to be close to their families for visits. Moving inmates another 100 miles from their families will make visits more difficult.
- The savings projected from a closure will not be realized - $8.35 million in capital improvements are needed at Logan Correctional Center. Early release programs will result in increased state spending elsewhere: food stamps, medicaid, public housing vouchers, etc.
Governor Pat Quinn
100 W. Randolph Street, Floor 16
Chicago, IL 60601